December 13, 2012

Twins?! Yeah...Why Not!

The most cheerful time of the year is upon us! So shift gears this season to reminisce about what the holidays are actually about, our loved ones. As you wrap up your holiday shopping, end of the year projects, and (hopefully) take a few days off from work to celebrate, remember that family can include all different types of relationships and connections, whether we share genetic bonds or not.


Meet Taryn and Shailyn Tavella, 21-year-old identical twins who live in New York City. Taryn goes to Parsons School of Design and Shailyn, the eight-minute-older sister goes to NYU. The two complement each other to create a harmony of opposites. For instance, when they got lost in Rome on their family vacation they harnessed their contrasting skills and worked together to find their way through the foreign city. Taryn was prepared with a map and directional skills and her sister helped with her language ability. These contrasts are also seen when they pick out clothes, Shailyn goes for the comfortable fit while Taryn selects the latest trend. The result is an ensemble that works in its practicality and style. Putting together their assorted talents creates an advantage in any situation.


MBF: Did your mom dress you alike when you were younger?

Taryn: Yes, same outfit but different colours.

Shailyn: I would always be in red or pink while Taryn wore blue or purple.

Taryn: When we got older we were able to pick out our own outfits but Shailyn who wasn’t, and still isn’t into fashion, just wore whatever I picked out.

Shailyn: It was much easier for me!

Taryn: Until 5th grade, when I demanded that we wear different outfits. Then I started to experiment on Shailyn. I would always dress up Shailyn like she was some doll to play with and I still do today.

Shailyn: Taryn is always putting on my make-up and helping me style a plain outfit. I love it.

MBF: How would you describe each other’s style?

Taryn: Well, for Shailyn ideally her style would be like Anna Karina (Godard’s muse). When I dress her I always think of her as a 1960s schoolgirl meets preppy plain Jane.

Shailyn: I’m not as articulate at describing fashion. But I would say that Taryn’s style has always changed with the trends. But she is by no means trendy; she always has some classic aesthetics. When she moved to New York she has changed styles a lot! I think she likes to mix 1960s with the 1990s, which reflects her taste in music too.


MBF: Have you ever had any freaky/unexplainable twin experiences?

Shailyn: The classic go to story for this question is when we were little at the doctors and I got my finger pricked to get blood drawn.

Taryn: I got it drawn from my arm; it was our first time being old enough to do so.

Shailyn: After seeing her have it done I choose the comfortable method. Taryn has always been the brave one.

Taryn: When we walked out of the office my finger hurt.

Shailyn: And my arm hurt. It was odd; it was like we exchanged pain pressure points.

Taryn: Other than that we always have the same symbols or motifs in our dreams, usually with different endings. One reoccurring dream in particular there was tidal wave in both of our dreams.

Shailyn: Oh and once we had the same English class and we found that we interpreted the symbols and themes in stories the same way.

MBF:What annoys you about each other the most?

Taryn: Ah, ever since we started living with each other again the list grows each day.

Shailyn: I think what annoys me most about Taryn is how long it takes for her to get ready in the morning and her insomniac tendencies that keep her me up at night.

Taryn: I find Shailyn’s tone and sometimes condescending words particularly frustrating.


MBF: Have you ever-switched places? Think Olsen twins.

Shailyn: Nope, it's something we have feared to try because, unlike me, Taryn has a beauty mark on her face.

Taryn: It's a total give away.

MBF: Have you ever been separated for an extended period of time?

Taryn: There was the time we went to different away camps, and Shailyn went to college in London…

Shailyn: We really have only spent 4 months at most apart.

MBF: How are you different? How are you similar?

Shailyn: We are different in many ways; it may be easier to say how we are similar.

Taryn: We are both passionate, have the same high-pitched voice, similar mannerisms, and ability to read and empathize with people.

Shailyn: We are both left-handed, need our fingers to count, can’t spell, and have the same laugh; but different sense of humor!


MBF: If there was one attribute you could trade what would it be?

Taryn: I would definitely want Shailyn’s amazing self-confidence.

Shailyn: I’d kill for Taryn’s more angular facial features.

MBF: What famous twins would you like to be if you could be anyone?

Taryn: This is tricky; when we were little we were very jealous of the Olsen twins...

Shailyn: ...but we really love Tegan and Sarah.

Taryn: They rock, and are very talented.

Shailyn: It would be fun to be them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
MBF Trend Talk by MBF Trend Consulting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at mbf-trendtalk.blogspot.com.